Saturday, October 11, 2008

5. The Investigators

sandblasted crop circle design on an extremely hard stoneBegan with Replicating the Roswell Rock

As far as the message board went.... after having met the challenge of 'do yours spin under a magnet?' and then a final submission of one more that I considered to be an irrefutable example.... yes - I really WAS done, although nothing I HAD done seemed to have affected much of anything. There were still plenty of discussions going on about how it could have been made, but I certainly wasn't interested in repeating the process I had just been through on all the different paranormal message boards. How many of them are out there? It could be a never ending crusade - no thanks.

Early on, there had been suggestions from the board that I should send photos of what I was doing to the primary investigator of the Roswell Rock. I got right on it and wondered why I hadn't thought of that in the first place - it was from that person's website that the story being discussed had originated. Much to my surprise I was responded to immediately with a couple of questions, one of which was something like, can you try your technique on a sample of iron-rich hard sandstone? I said I would try.

Ultimately, I was unable to come through, after a few crazy days of trying to fit it in I realized I just didn't have the time, didn't know any geologists, didn't know anyone who knew anybody who knew anything about iron-rich sandstone. I just couldn't do it. As much as I wanted to, it just wasn't my part of the puzzle to solve. Not long after that, in an interview on the radio, I heard that person report that although someone had sent in photo samples of sandblasted stones, experts were still saying that there was no evidence of any type of machine work whatsoever.

This brought me to a place I had never been before - standing on opposite sides of an issue from a well known Investigative Reporter for whom I had nothing but respect and admiration. To be honest it was a place I didn't want to be, and still don't, which is why I am still not using the persons name. I will always tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the ufologist, the crop circle investigator, the ghost chaser, I'm not one to dismiss something outright just because it is different.

Studying the ways people operate when confronted with mystery has long been a hobby of mine, and I of course know that it's unfortunately never as simple as right and wrong, or true and false. As those of us who are compelled (and most of us are) to pick a side, it requires that we mentally dismiss much of what the other side is saying. It's really the only way we can hope to half-way believe that what we've decided is probably the truth ...is in any way true. Having watched people dismiss elements of my own life experiences that I consider to be true, because it didn't fit their own understanding of reality has made me automatically sympathetic to the side opposite the skeptic, or the debunker.

All I had to offer the investigator were photos. It was not enough, and I understood why, and knew that what I was saying was getting dismissed and there was most likely nothing that was going to change that.

At that time, in the "listeners emails" section of the website of Coast To Coast am, an animation appeared, sent in by a listener. It showed the image of the Roswell Rock superimposing itself onto an image of the 1996 formation. The point was made in the accompanying comment that it is an astonishingly exact match. It's amazing how the mind can see what it expects to see. At first it DOES seem to be quite exact, but this is the result of the eye bouncing around and looking at the parts that DO line up, If you continue to watch the animation though, and look at ALL the parts you will see that there are many that do NOT line up. Some of them are actually pretty far off in my opinion.

The unspoken point was that the rock and the crop circle were connected in ways other than normal and that this animation was proof. This irritated me quite a bit because, seeing the (apparently hard to perceive) inconsistency between the two was in reality more proof that the two were NOT paranormally linked.

I knew what I had to do. I wrote up an email, attached images of some of the rocks, and sent it in to Coast to Coast. With the way everything had been going, I wasn't actually expecting that they would post the images, but boom - up they went! It was a little bit of a shock how fast it happened. One evening, only a day or two after making the submission I went to the website right before one of the shows was about to start, to see who that nights guest was going to be. Just a few minutes later I was back on there for something else and there they were. Remembering that I had given permission for them to show my email address, I popped over there and saw that in just those few minutes there were already 5 responses, and over the next several days there was a steady flow until I had seven pages to deal with. Among those responses was another investigator - Chuck Zukowski of ufonut.com.

Chuck was kind enough to purchase one of my rocks for his research. I sent him the best one I had at the time, but in the days that followed, my techniques improved and I felt he deserved an upgrade - so I sent him the one that can be seen in the video below.



(Continued with 6. Resolved)

No comments:

Post a Comment